Wednesday, January 22, 2014

You Don't Know What You've Got Until It's Gone

Most of my regrets relate to things I failed to say or do. I have another such regret to add to that list.

Yesterday, I attended the funeral of my friend, the Reverend Doctor James F. McClellan, Jr. I wish I had made the time for him that would have allowed me to say "my close, personal friend."

I had probably heard him or someone else say, before yesterday, what a great baseball fan he was. In September, my sons and I were in Kansas City, MO and one of the things we did was visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in that city. I wish I had sat down with Jim to talk about that visit. I'll bet he would have had some tidbits of information that would have added to my understanding of what it was like for those players. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he had knowledge or memorabilia or insights that would have made a great addition to that museum's collection. Based on what I heard yesterday, he would have enjoyed such a conversation as much as I would have. I wish ...

Jim McClellan was a great contributor to our society. All of us should try to be like him. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment